Welcome to my Wild Garden! Right now, you can come with me as I photograph the growing season of a small, neglected garden. In the future, I plan to add a photo gallery, a section on Tudor outfits, as well as a number of other things.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

December 1st It's all About the Seeds

The leaves of the wild vetch droop, and the seed pods are empty of seeds now. Shortly after they mature, they "shatter", or open with a snap at the slightest touch, scattering the seed to grow the next year..
The primrose is long dead, as is the mugwort, but the seedpods remain here also, and some seeds, too.
Almost all of the seeds of the milkweed have flown, only about three have stayed.
Some seeds have already landed and sprouted, but these are doomed, as the young plants have no chance of getting through the approaching winter.
The pokeweed, that most valiant of plants, is still struggling to produce just a few last berries.
The hawthorn's leaves have mostly fallen, leaving bare stems.
 I myself am adorned with yet more burdock burrs, the hooks of which enable them to hitch a ride to a new, possibly better, place to sprout in the spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment